A web application is a necessary tool for any business in 2021.
Demand for web applications in business
After the first wave of the COVID-19 pandemic, all businesses won't be the same. The sharp decline in the flow of customers made it clear to all entrepreneurs that without introducing web applications into their work, they will lose their profits.
According to the Fundera portal:
- 36% of small businesses didn't have a website in early 2020
- 41% of businesses in early 2020 said they didn't need a web app
- 35% of entrepreneurs think their activity is too small to build an app
All of this data is collected in the United States and Canada. However, because of the beginning the pandemic, entrepreneurs around the world have such ways to deal with the problem of self-isolation:
- Development/creation your own web application
- Moving to large platforms of B2B, B2C systems, etc
- Development of social networks and delivery
The departure of small and medium-sized businesses to the sites of other companies, such as Alibaba, eBay and many others, have to accept the rules of such sites. Often, any account improvements are made for a fee. This is not a bad thing, because the business world needs constant cash flow. But for small and micro-businesses, it can be too expensive to pay for additional features of large sites.
At the same time, going to social networks looks like a more loyal option. There is nothing wrong with it, as social media gathers large audiences. However, entrepreneurs should perceive them as an opportunity to partially market and advertise their business. This is due to the risks that the sale of goods carries, exclusively using social networks:
- Mass competition
- The consumer is more serious about the brand if he has his own web application If this is not the case, then consumers perceive the product/service as something of poor quality
- Content theft
- Plagiarizing your business idea faster
- With the advertising settings of modern social networks, it is often possible to increase account traffic only by paying for advertising. Even an SEO manager is practically powerless on social media
Bankruptcy is the worst option for any business. Until 2020, many entrepreneurs carried out their activities on credit. When the pandemic came and the flow of customers was reduced as much as possible, the entrepreneurs fell into a trap. This trap is debts to creditors and banks.
To avoid bankruptcy, entrepreneurs choose to go to large platforms, social networks, or create/develop their own web application.
Having own web application, an entrepreneur can:
- Add any function to your web app
- Make updates when it is convenient for the entrepreneur
- Collect up-to-date statistics of website activity
- Find clients in any part of the country and around the world
- A web application can concisely and colorfully tell a wide audience about a person, service or product
- The web application can integrate with various social networks to increase the reach of your business
- Create a convenient toolkit within the site that will provide payment “here and now” and all the necessary manipulations so that customers do not leave the web application and accurately purchase the offered product or service
- Provide additional income for the business: advertising within the site, providing bonuses for paid subscriptions and other monetization ideas that an entrepreneur can come up with and web developers of the Exceed Team can implement
And much more, the “Exceed Team” will tell you about in the next paragraph.
What kind of web applications can you create?
There are many types of web applications. Every business can create a web application by describing their preferences. The main types of web applications are:
- Standard web applications. Most or all of the necessary functions of the future application are in special libraries. This speeds up their development;
- Unique features of web applications. Unique functions include those that have not yet been recorded in the library and have not been applied anywhere in the world. Such web applications require time-consuming development but set the business apart from the competition.
For 2021, even different types of AI are already the first type of web applications. All you need to describe the functionality of the web application.
Application functions are formed depending on the type of business. For instance:
- The bakery needs to work out an up-to-date design demonstration of the products they have, establish a chat (possibly with the connection of a chat bot);
- For a clothing company, it will be important to not only have attractive storefronts with a chatbot, but also give their customers as much information as possible;
- It is important for a construction company to convince its customers of the quality of the work performed. Demonstration of already created objects or a photo of a 3D model is already a thing of the past. But a VR tour of a construction project, both already created and only planned (in the same 3D model), is gaining popularity in the real estate market.
Describing all types of business, which you can create a web application for, is very long. From the examples above, you may have noticed the division into functions that are already used in most web applications and new ideas for functions.
Basic and advanced features of web applications
Most web applications contain basic and advanced functionality.
Before describing advanced features for travel applications, you need to familiarize yourself with the basic ones.
Basic functions of most web applications:
- Account registration
- Personal account of the client/business owner
- User profile management (avatar, information about yourself, etc.)
- Search within the app
- Posting photos, reviews, ratings, etc.
- Chat rooms for communication
- Possibility of ordering a product/service and placing it in a virtual basket
- Payment for goods/services immediately inside the web application
- Track order delivery status
- Web Application Event Notifications
- Placement of google maps
These features are expected to be seen by users of the 2021 web application. Now, let's describe the advanced functionality that you may want to put into your own web application:
- Personalization. It adapts to the preferences of the client and increases the profit of the owner of the web application due to the current advertising integrations.
- Geolocation. Geolocation is useful for customers when a service or product cannot be obtained online. The map can show not only the place where the business owner's building is, but also make a route.
- Tongue. Language change is a useful feature if you are targeting the global market. Not all users speak two or more languages, and the built-in translator will help make your web application as popular as possible.
- SOS. This function is only thought to be introduced into taxi web applications. In other types of business, it is used if, while using the goods/services of this business, a person may be at risk. For example, such types of business as:
- Extreme tourism
- Amusement park (many of them are actively creating their own web applications, where there is a map, an online guide, etc.)
- Quest rooms (SOS can call workers or an ambulance)
- And many others
The main idea of the “SOS” function is that if a person does not feel safe, he can press this button inside the web application. This will immediately display the person on maps or even call special services.
- VR. Virtual reality is moving beyond games and is starting to be applied in many areas of life. Business is no exception. Already, real estate and tourism businesses are actively integrating VR technologies into their web applications.
- 3D demonstration. The product photo is informative for the client. But the ability to look at the product from all sides and see how this or that product will look in the client's premises, these are already existing functions. All this is provided by a 3D demonstration.
- Photo/video reviews. Placing photos and video materials in reviews will allow other users to carefully navigate when choosing a product.
And many other advanced features that are selected depending on the specific type of business.
Most of the existing web applications still do not have the listed functions. Perhaps, placing them in your application, you will attract more people and set a new level for your industry.
The work of all these functions inside the web application is formed by the technological stack. The development and adjustment of the technology stack should be done by professionals.
How to find a dedicated development team?
A dedicated development team is a guarantee of the quality of a web application. Who is the best in developing a web application: software companies, freelancers, or websites with a ready-made solution?
Each of the types should be reviewed separately:
1. Software development companies
These are specialized firms that recruit programmers staff based on their experience, skills and efficiency. Choosing this variant, those wishing to create a web application will be offered a team that is able to satisfy all the wishes of the client (often the team is formed specifically for a custom application in order to achieve maximum efficiency).
The company is required to provide data on the team's experience in the web applications they have already created. This will provide an opportunity to study the quality of work on existing examples. This type of cooperation fits the definition of a dedicated team, taking on your project, the company undertakes to:
- Create a web application within the terms, set by the contract
- Don't spread the unique idea of your application on the Internet
- Provide you with a high-quality web application
- Carry out transparent work and report on the current state of project readiness at the request of the client
Other features of working with a company that develops a web application is the country, where the company is located. For more information, see our article “All You Need to Know to Hire Dedicated Web Developers”.
These are programmers, who works remotely and most often alone. A freelance programmer is only suitable for creating a web application or a separate function of an application if he is experienced.
Freelance developers can work with a client on a contract similar to a company, specializing in developing a web application. However, most of the freelancers prefer to take work without a formal contract, which carries its own risks for the client. The most common risks in working with freelancers without a contract:
- Embellishing your real-life skills and experiences
- Interruption of the deadline for the delivery of the web application
- The risk of disappearance and termination of communication between the freelancer and the customer, if the application revealed problems during the work after the delivery of the project
- Lack of step-by-step web application checks
Of course, interaction with freelancers is not always problematic. However, it should be understood that freelancers work for themselves and often alone. That is, if you want a well-designed web application with great functionality, a freelance programmer will need to spend more time developing it.
At the same time, in software development teams, each team member can take on certain stages of developing a web application. This reduces the time to create a project.
3. A website with a ready-made solution
These sites provide lightweight templates for you to beautifully design your site and use the toolkit, provided by the site. They have a number of divisions, that help you to choose a template for a specific type of business:
Such web applications provide extremely limited functionality. They can be useful only if a person wants to practice working with a web application and decide what he needs when working with a web application.
For example, after creating a site according to a template and starting work in it, functional imperfections may appear. The “Exceed Team” advises to write down all these nuances, so when developing a full-fledged website, an experienced team of programmers will take them into account.
If a person, who wants to create a web application believes that ready-made solutions can fully satisfy his needs, he will face the following risks and limitations:
- The created site, based on a web application, doesn't belong to you, makes it impossible to expand the functionality. Your site needs updates, and the platform, provided you with the template only deals with general updates for the entire web application
- Your unique business idea can be copied by other people and created faster than you create your original web application
- You pay for the website template, provided to you and its use. Many sites ask for small amounts, however, they provide very concise statistics on the site and are not able to provide the necessary functionality of a web application
Knowing these categories of developers, you can foresee the result of cooperation and choose the most convenient solution for yourself.
The conclusion of this point - contact professionals, who are able to prove their competence. How?
- Choose a dedicated development team
- How to find out the competence of developers
- What is the mechanics of how developers work
And many more questions the “Exceed Team” has put together for you in the article “All You Need to Know to Hire Dedicated Web Developers”.
Why can you trust the Exceed Team to build your web application?
1. The “Exceed Team” has extensive experience in web application development.
On our main page you can see the projects that we have realized. Many of them were orders that assumed the presence of unique functions. The experience of our developers in creating unique functions will help you implement your goals as accurately as possible.
2. “Exceed Team” is always in touch
Even if you are just thinking about creating your own web application, you can write to us. We will answer any question and help you to determine the most suitable functions for you.
3. Reliability of The “Exceed Team”
Working with our team is carried out in the most transparent mode. You can talk to the developers at any time and find out the current state of the project.
We respect our customers and want new applications to be useful to society. In this article, you can continue to write what unique offers the “Exceed Team” can provide you. But much better:
- Write us questions that you have while developing the idea of your web application
- Find a topic of interest in our blog, where we describe in detail:
- Actual technologies of different types of business
- Types of technology stacks
- Market analysis of different types of business
- Studying success stories of popular applications
- Describing monetization ideas
- And much more
Let's discuss your idea
This article was written by the “Exceed Team” team in order to ensure that everyone, who wants to create their own web application doesn't feel afraid of not understanding where to start.
If you have any questions and want to learn more about what solutions are right for you in creating a web application, please contact us.
We will select the right solution for you, tell you all the nuances and assemble the most suitable development team for your project.