Table of contents
What is DevOps?
DevOps is a common work of developers with IT specialists, the result is to improve the quality and speed of creating or updating a software product (or service).
- Reduction the time a new/updated software;
- Reducing the failure rate of new releases;
- Reduction the time with on-site testers;
- Reducing the amount of time to recover (in case of a new version failure or other shutdown of the current system).
DevOps is used by those companies that need fast time to market and constant software updates.
How does DevOps work?
To achieve these goals, the DevOps team must standardize the development and testing phases. Ideally, each team member should have access to the project at any stage and understand at what stage software development is now. It is necessary in order to quickly conduct a test or fix a problem that has arisen.
DevOps is useless without a well-established development script. That is why effective use of DevOps is connected with the use of specific tools and architecture-relevant requirements (ASR).
DevOps tools, providing competent team work is an algorithm that every year tries to become generalized for a project of any complexity. The standard DevOps algorithm looks like this:
- Coding - code development and analytics, development version control tools, merging of written code;
- Build - tools for continuous integration of generated codes;
- Testing - continuous testing tools that provide a quick and timely assessment of the risks of the project being developed and their quick elimination;
- Packaging - artifact repository, app pre-installation;
- Release - change management, formal release approval, application release automation;
- Setup - configuration and management of software infrastructure;
- Monitoring - measuring application performance, end-user interaction;
- Continuous support of the developed application;
- Continuous integration of additional updates.
Each of the described steps of the algorithm contains its own set of tools, the description of which can turn into a separate book.
Business Benefits of DevOps
DevOps is an automating application development and updates with the concerted efforts of a dedicated team. Any business in 2021 is going to create its own application that uses for:
- Coordination of employees work
- Attracting an audience
- Work with clients directly
- Brand promotion
- Providing a platform for other types of business
- Providing a specific service to various business systems
- Implementation of government programs
- Collection of up-to-date statistics on customer behavior
- Providing the security of the company's digital product
- and many other features of the business app
DevOps for business, as a transition from manual labor to automated production technologies. Now, DevOps team services are in demand in all popular applications in the world, since constant updates also require constant monitoring.
So, you can get an example with various applications. Currently, each app has a basic set of features that consumers expect to see in 2021 and advanced features that are found in a number of popular apps in their segment. In addition, there are trends that are just beginning to be applied in a number of applications and are driving the industry.
For presentation purposes, the Exceed Team will describe the basic and advanced features of streaming service apps such as TikTok, Instagram Stories, or Netflix.
- Registration algorithm. When entering the application, the user needs to be prompted to create an account. This will increase personalization, data clarity, etc.
- User profile. Reflects the achievements and status of the user within the site. If we are talking about platforms like TikTok, the user will see the subscribers that subscribed to him, the content that he published and the ability to modernize the look of his profile
- Cloud storage. This storage is required for all functions of the application
- Home page. This page acts as a content offer. Most often, it contains tools to help your search
- Elastic search. One of the most important plugins of the service. Elastic search is carried out by keywords, categories or hashtags
- Payment gateway. Allows you to make payments inside the app without leaving it. The wider the payment options, the more users it attracts
- Video and audio players. They allow you to upload materials of the proposed format for their interaction with users of the streaming service (for work, you need cloud storage and an API for convenient use on any device)
- Comments. Helps you customize the personalization of content to meet the needs of a specific profile
- AI (artificial intelligence). Facilitates the collection of statistical data, supports and implements the operation of the service. Pushes content based on user preferences, ads, etc. to a specific user
All features are the standard set that 2020 consumers have come to expect from streaming services. At this stage, you need to decide what kind of streaming service is preferable for you.
- Chat. It will help users to communicate and find followers of interest. The ability to share impressions increases traffic to the streaming service;
- Notifications. This function will remind you of the release of a new episode of your favorite series, notify you of new comments and other news of the application that affect a specific account;
- Minimum settings. Allowing users to choose the brightness, color scheme of the application and the availability of information - increases the credibility of the application;
- Language selection. Automatic translation of the page at the request of the user into any language convenient for him, increases the global coverage of the application. The more languages there are, the more likely it is that users will return to you;
- Copyright protection. If you are creating a streaming service like Netflix, you must take care to protect the rights of the content you provide. Blocking screenshots, protecting the service from programs for downloading materials, mentioning copyright protection on the site - all these are the elements of protection thanks to which distributor companies are more willing to trust the platform;
- Integration with social networks. Many users may want to register through social media. Give them this opportunity, but secure the content. If you make this tool safe, it is possible to set up a “share on social networks” function;
- Ratings. Any content expresses emotions. Let people express them by posting personal ratings after viewing. Before watching, people can observe the overall rating of the viewers. This tool will give you insight into what content your viewers want to see and what not;
- Quality setting. Not all regions of the world have a uniform Internet connection and equally good video playback devices. To solve this problem, the quality adjustment function can. From the lowest to the highest that the technical part of your service can provide;
- Downloading films. This function will allow you to download content to any device. However, caution is needed with it, since no one is immune from piracy. Explore content protection techniques if you want to put such a feature in your application;
- Geoblocking. Various movies and TV series may be banned in different countries of the world. To ensure that your application does not experience difficulties with the global market, it is better to take care of such a feature. This feature prohibits the viewing of certain content in a certain territory;
- Analytics. Why users came, what they most often do inside the app, etc. - this is important information for the development of your business. It will make it faster and easier to optimize applications and marketing policies.
If you are interested in the trends of applications of streaming services or other types of applications - you can go to our blog. Every week, the Exceed Team releases a series of articles that tell about:
- Popular apps in the world and their trends
- How popular apps earn money
- What features are the most popular applications filled with?
- What you need to know to create a popular app
- And much more
In order to quickly develop and update your application in a timely manner, you need DevOps services.
The algorithm of the DevOps team was described above. Now, our team would like to show you what services DevOps can provide to its customers. The most obvious way to see the reliability of DevOps is to study business representatives who are already actively using DevOps. These include:
And many others. In fact, all applications/software products/systems that are constantly updated are the result of the work of the DevOps team.
Collecting statistics on modern entrepreneurs who own their own applications/software products in the United States shows that:
- 69% of users of DevOps recognized the speed of development and input of implemented projects
- 59% of entrepreneurs note a reduction in costs with the start of DevOps
- 32% of applications accelerated the introduction of updates and innovations of their digital products using DevOps
Outside of statistical data, there is a general increase in the quality of all applications/software products/systems that have implemented DevOps in their work. You can observe this by seeing the number of apps that want to make updates on your phone during the month.
Another powerful argument for entrepreneurs in favor of DevOps is to reduce the number of employees while maintaining the quality and efficiency of work. This was made possible by a clear algorithm, assigning specific tasks to a specific specialist, and constantly optimizing the existing algorithm.
Let's discuss your idea
This article was written by the Exceed Team so everyone, who wants to create their own application/software product does not feel afraid of not understanding the DevOps structure and can accurately formulate their idea to the DevOps team.
Any questions? Write to us! We will study your project and advise you on any questions that arise.